Two Indian climbers die on Mount Everest amid overcrowding concerns

2 Min Read

KATHMANDU: Two Indian climbers have died on Mount Everest after falling ill while descending from high altitude, their expedition company said, as Nepal records one of its busiest climbing seasons on the world’s highest peak.

Nivesh Karki, director at Pioneer Adventures, identified the climbers as Sandeep Are and Arun Kumar Tiwari. He said Are reached the summit on May 20, while Tiwari summited on May 21.

Karki said efforts were under way to determine how to retrieve the bodies from the mountain.

At least five climbers have died during the current Everest season, including the two Indian climbers and three Nepalis. A US climber and a Czech climber also died on Mount Makalu earlier this month.

The deaths come as experts and veteran climbers raise fresh concerns about overcrowding on Everest, particularly during narrow weather windows that allow summit attempts.

Nepali climber Kami Rita Sherpa, who climbed Everest for a record 32nd time this month, said the mountain felt crowded this season and called for better regulation of climbers.

Photos shared by climbers showed long queues on fixed ropes in high-altitude areas, where low oxygen and extreme cold can increase risks during delays.

Tourism officials said a record 275 climbers reached the 8,849-metre summit from Nepal’s side on Thursday, pending final verification.

Nepal has issued a record 492 Everest permits to foreign climbers this season. The northern route from Tibet has remained closed this year, leaving Nepal’s southern route as the main access point.

British guide Kenton Cool also reached the summit for the 20th time on Friday, extending his record for the most Everest ascents by a non-Nepali climber.

Share This Article